UserTesting.com helps companies fine-tune their products and eliminate bad user experiences through usability testing.
These companies often need users from specific industries to test their websites so UserTesting.com is always looking to hire more user testers. This is where YOU come in.
So, is UserTesting.com legit? We'll find out in this UserTesting.com review.
UserTesting.com Review – How It Works
Most of the tests on UserTesting.com are simple, usability tests.
What this means is that you'll just be testing out how easy a website or app is to use. No expert knowledge of computers required.
Also, since UserTesting.com is one of the leading usability testing sites around, they've worked with some big brands such as Apple, Microsoft, and Facebook.
UserTesting.com Sign-Up Requirements
To start taking tests, you'll need a few things first:
- A PC or Mac, a good internet connection, and a microphone. If you want to take mobile tests you'll need an iPhone, iPad, Android phone, or Android tablet.
- You'll need to download a testing software from UserTesting. You'll need it to take user tests.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You have to speak your thoughts aloud in English during tests.
UserTesting.com Sign-Up Process
The sign-up process for UserTesting.com is easy and it took me around 10 minutes.
All you need to do is enter your email on the sign-up page, download the testing software which allows them to record your screen, and take a quick sample test (took me less than 10 minutes) and then you're done.
You'll get an approval email later and then you'll start receiving paid tests in your dashboard.
UserTesting.com Test Process
Every time a test lands in your UserTesting dashboard, you'll go through a process like this:
- Read the requirements for the test and see if you fit them.
- Take the screener for the test. Screeners are usually a few multiple choice questions and they take less than a minute to complete. You won't get paid for these.
- If you're what the customer is looking for and you made it through the screener, you'll be able to start the test! Get your microphone ready, go to a quiet place, and get ready to think out loud.
- Once you start the test you'll be given a set of descriptive tasks to work through. Remember to speak out loud while working on these tasks, say whatever comes to mind.
- Once you finish all the tasks you may be asked for some written responses or extra feedback, then you're done!
- You just made $10.
So, 6-steps later you've made yourself an easy $10 doing something fun and you've helped someone improve their website.
UserTesting.com Review – Pay
Each test on UserTesting.com takes around 10-20 minutes and pays $10.
There are also LIVE tests where you talk with a customer live (duh), these tests usually pay $60/hour.
I seem to get 3-5 tests per month so you can expect the same (you might get more), meaning you can make an extra $30-50 per month on UserTesting.com. That adds up to $360-600 per year, not too bad!
Once you complete your first paid test, you'll be paid out via PayPal 7 days later.
Tip #1: If you want to maximize your earnings on UserTesting.com, make sure to keep the dashboard open on your computer as much as possible. The tests go to the users who are logged in FIRST, so by keeping the dashboard open you'll receive way more tests.
Tip #2: Make sure you're providing quality feedback during your tests and DON'T lie during the screening questions. If you fail to do these things you may get disqualified and not paid, which would be a huge waste of time.
Is UserTesting Legit?
Yes, UserTesting.com is LEGIT.
I've been paid out multiple times by UserTesting.com so I can happily say it is legit.
However, it's not a quit-your-job opportunity, you may only qualify for a handful of tests each month. Does this mean it's not worth it? That's up to you to decide, I myself think it's a fun, easy way to earn some date-night money.
If you want to help improve the web while making an extra $500/year, you should definitely sign-up and try it out.