Toluna is a popular paid survey site that's been paying users since 2000, but is it worth the time?
This Toluna review and earning guide breaks everything down, including how the site works, who can join, whether it's safe and legit, how much it pays, and more. Enjoy!
Table of Contents
- Key Points ⚡
- What is Toluna?
- Is Toluna Legit?
- Who Can Join?
- Safety Inspection
- Support Quality
- How Does Toluna Work?
- Ways to Earn + Tips
- Earning Potential
- Ways to Cash Out
- Additional Tips, Notes, Features
- Review and Rating Recap
- Pros and Cons
- Reviews From Real Users
- Is It Worth It?
- How to Get Started ($5 Bonus)
- Similar Opportunities
- Final Thoughts
Key Points ⚡
|Countries||International (49 countries/regions)|
|Platforms||Android, iOS, Web|
|Work Volume||A few opportunities a day|
|Ways to Earn||Surveys, polls, games, contests, referrals|
|Payout Options||Gift Cards, PayPal|
|Minimum Payout||$5-$10 (varies by location and payout option)|
|Payment Speed||1-21 business days (18 days on average)|
|Sign up Bonus||500 points|
This Toluna review was written and researched by Sheng S. from the Philippines, who had used Toluna for 2 months, earning $10 in the process.
Data for this review has been gathered from 3 Toluna users who completed a detailed form for us in exchange for a small incentive.
Finally, I did a bit of additional research into the safety, legitimacy, and reputation of Toluna, took an in-depth look at all of the features, saw what others online were saying, and editing everything together for a full overview. Enjoy!
What is Toluna Influencers?
Toluna Influencers is an online social voting platform — aka a survey site with community/social media aspects — with over 21 million users in 49 different countries and 28 languages.
As a member of the Toluna Influencers community, you can get paid to influence brands on Toluna by completing surveys, contributing to the community, and more. More details below.
- Founded: 2000.
- Parent company: Toluna Corporate.
- Located: 1 Bis Rue Collange 92300 Levallois-Perret Paris, France.
- Founder: Frederic-Charles Petit
- Socials: Twitter | Facebook | Facebook North America | Instagram | Youtube | LinkedIn
- Contact details: Contact page | 203-834-8585.
Is Toluna Legit?
Yes, Toluna is legit. They're a large company that's been in the survey space since 2000, they're open and transparent about how they work, it's easy to find out who's behind the site, and most importantly, they pay.
That said, while there are plenty of positive reviews online from happy Toluna users, there are negative ones too. In fact, a fair share of unhappy users were quick to call Toluna a scam due to banned accounts and unsent payments. More on this below.
Our reviewer cashed out twice from Toluna via PayPal:
Each payment reportedly took less than a week to receive.
Who Can Join? (Requirements)
- Age requirement: 16 years old.
- Country requirements: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Czechia, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR China, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Vietnam (note: countries in the Americas usually get the most surveys).
- Device requirements: Available on the Web or as an app for iOS and Android.
- Payout requirements: To be able to receive your payout in cash, a verified PayPal account is required. More on reward options below.
Conducted on May 27, 2021.
- SSL certificate? Yes.
- Terms and Conditions: Here.
- Personal data collected from Toluna users:
- First and last name, birth date, gender, email address, country, postal code, password (required) (for account creation)
- Demographic data (marital status, household info, education level, etc.) (some of this data is optional) (used to match you with more relevant surveys)
- Phone number (optional) (for SMS survey notifications)
- Technical stuff (IP address, device type, etc.) (automatically collected) (may be used for advertising purposes)
- Do they ever share user data with third parties? Yes, they may share your data with third parties for advertising/marketing purposes. That said, they say any sharing of personal data is anonymized and/or aggregated unless they have your prior consent for otherwise.
- Can you delete your account and data? You can deactivate your account by going to your settings and hitting the “Unsubscribe Options” link in the bottom left.
Is Toluna Safe?
Toluna is mostly safe to use — we couldn't find any huge security or privacy concerns.
Obligatory disclaimer: Anything on the internet is never 100% safe or private. The above are opinions based on our independent research. Please take caution and do your own due diligence.
Toluna Support Quality
Here's are some support experiences from Toluna users we've surveyed:
In my experience, Toluna's customer service was excellent. I emailed them about a survey that I didn't qualify for, and they responded on the same day with a list of reasons why I was rejected.– Sheng S.
They respond very quickly. I always message them if I have a problem with a survey and they try to resolve them as quickly as they can. They even provide me another link to the survey if I encounter problems.– Anonymous User
Toluna seems to care a lot about their customer service across the web too. They reply to almost all of their reviews on third-party sites — where most others also praise their level of support.
How Does Toluna Work?
Toluna works very similarly to other paid survey sites and GPT sites. They make money by helping brands survey consumers, and they share a part of the revenue with you, the survey taker, for providing quality feedback and insight.
As you complete surveys and other tasks, you’ll receive Toluna points. Depending on the reward you choose, 3,000-3,250 Toluna points = $1.
You'll need at least $5-$10 worth of points to cash out. Reward options/payout methods include PayPal, gift cards, and more (details below).
Ways to Earn on Toluna + Tips
There are 6 main ways to earn money as a Toluna Influencer:
Surveys are the main money makers on Toluna. To find them, head over to your survey center located at the top of the page:
The points per survey will vary based on the length. Usually a 20-minute long survey will give you 3,000-5,000 points ($1-$1.66). If you’re lucky and you receive a lengthy survey (e.g. 1 hour+), you could earn 10,000 points or more.
- Update your personal info often, as needed
- To avoid getting disqualified/banned, answer the surveys slowly and truthfully
- There are a lot of surveys about being a parent and a household head
- Some surveys disqualify those who work in the advertising industry
- Make sure to read the survey questions carefully and remember your previous answers
- If you see an error page while part way through a survey, try reloading the page a couple of times
2. Profile Surveys
After registering for Toluna, you’ll be able to answer 13 profile surveys. Each of these surveys gives you 100 points the first time you complete them.
Tip: Your profile answers help Toluna send you relevant surveys. They can be updated at any time — but only update them when your information actually truly changes in real life. The more accurately, truthfully, and fully you fill out these surveys, the fewer disqualifications you should get and the more surveys you should receive.
3. Sponsored Polls
The sponsored content / polls on Toluna are quick and easy, and typically award 15 points.
4. Toluna Games
Games can be found under the community tab. They change every month depending on the season or holiday that month.
As an example, for February, the objective of the game is to catch all the Valentine’s day treats and avoid the broken hearts. This can only be played once a day and the top 20 scorers can win 2,000 points.
Just like the games, Toluna offers contests every month to encourage Toluna influencers to be engaged and active.
These contests usually ask you to post your thoughts and opinion about a certain topic. The best-written content gets awarded some points and featured in the Toluna magazine.
Contests usually appear in your notifications located on the left of your user icon at the top of the page.
6. Refer a Friend!
Another way to earn extra points is to invite friends to Toluna. Successful invitations will reward you 500 points.
You can find your referral link on your “Account” tab located in your user icon picture.
Toluna Earning Potential
Expect to earn around $1-$3/hour on average with Toluna. Some surveys may pay more or less than that, but the ones that pay more are quite rare.
How Often Is Work Available?
Our reviewer reported receiving 2-5 surveys per week. The number of surveys you receive will vary depending on your location and how active you are on the Toluna platform.
According to Toluna, they track how much you time you spend on the site and send surveys to the most active users.
In the end, Toluna definitely isn't a full-time job. Surveys might be available a few times a day, but you might only qualify for a few a week.
Ways to Cash Out on Toluna
There are 3 main ways to cash out your Toluna points (keep in mind, these will vary depending on your location):
Warning: Toluna points expire 16 months after you earn them. Be sure to redeem them before then!
PayPal cash is probably the most popular payment method on Toluna. The minimum cash out requirement can be anywhere from $5-$30 depending on your location.
2. Gift Cards
Gift card rewards typically give you better value for your points on Toluna. For example, $20 PayPal cash might cost 65,000 points, while a $20 Amazon gift card might only cost 60,000.
Some of the available gift cards include Starbucks, iTunes, Tesco, Amazon, and more. Usually these are available in $5, $10, $20, or $25 increments.
Note: Gift card availability and values will vary depending on your location.
3. Mobile Top-Up
The minimum points needed to redeem the Mobile top-up is 26,280 points which is equivalent to $6.
Mobile Top-Up can only be redeemed if the mobile number in your account is valid and has the same number you want to receive it. Also, this cash-out method is only available in some Asian countries.
Additional Tips, Notes, and Features
1. Community Forum
Toluna definitely feels more “alive” than many other survey sites. You can interact with the community, write polls and articles, and more.
2. Toluna App
The Toluna app is really handy for doing surveys on the go, or as soon as they become available.
On top of that, some surveys seem to be exclusively mobile, so downloading the app might increase your earning potential.
3. Turn on your email notifications
Some surveys have a limited quota, so getting in early increases your chances of qualifying. Email notifications will help with that.
4. Follow Toluna on social media
Toluna will occasionally announce important things on their social media accounts. For example, sometimes they post contests that reward bonus points for Toluna influencers who participate.
Toluna Review and Rating Recap
- Earning Potential
- Work Volume
- Payout Options
- Payout Minimum
- Payout Speed
Toluna is an OG paid survey site with a good variety of paid tasks, (sometimes) interesting surveys, unique community aspects, a responsive support team, and good rewards, but it's not perfect. Pay rates are quite low, survey quantity isn't the best, and payments can take up to 3 weeks. Overall, it's worth trying, but don't set your expectations too high.
Toluna Pros and Cons
- Reputable – Toluna has been around for a long time. They're a legitimate company that you can trust. They've partnered with many well-known brands as well.
- Available on all devices
- Surveys are interesting and sometimes fun – Most will be related to your hobbies and other details on your profile.
- Lots of ways to earn points
- Easy to use – The design and layout of the website is easy to navigate.
- Community aspect – Toluna works sort of like a social media site. You can post polls and other content that other Toluna Influencers can engage with.
- Sign up bonus – You’ll receive 500 bonus points just for signing up.
- Won't earn you a fortune
- Survey disqualifications – These are part of the game, but still annoying
- High-paying surveys are usually tedious
- Long surveys – A lot of Toluna surveys can be 30 mins or longer, which might be too long for some.
- Points expire 16 months after they're earned
- Payments can take up to 3 weeks to be sent
Toluna Reviews From Real Users
To give you an idea of what others are saying around the web, here are some 2020-2021 reviews of Toluna from our own efforts interviewing users (all dollar amounts are in USD).
Anonymous User (4/5)
- From: Philippines
- Age: 23
- User for: 10 months
- Total earned: $165
- Avg. $/hour: $1.00
- Avg. $/month: $10
- Receives work: A few times a week
- Time to first withdrawal: 10 days
- Favorite way(s) to earn: Surveys, games, writing content
Overall thoughts? I love the website nevertheless since I can still earn money from it by merely answering surveys.
Would you recommend Toluna to others? Yes, but my earnings definitely slowed down because the site is becoming more competitive. Within seconds, some surveys are immediately gone because the quota is met. I still recommend the site because I do not need to use critical thinking to answer surveys.
How's the user experience? It is very easy to use and user-friendly. You can navigate the website easily and gives you notifications if their monthly magazine is up to see if you won the contest, etc. The problem is sometimes they are fixing the site but they do not notify you. There are times wherein you just cannot access the site.
Any safety concerns? I think it is safe since I am being redirected to website surveys that are legitimate such as Nielsen.
Tips for new users? (1) Keep tabs open and watch out when surveys appear. (2) Keep an eye on various contests and try to join them. (3) Play their games since it will take only a little amount of time.
- Communicate/ interact with other members just like a forum
- Earn by creating high quality content
- Themed games that pay (e.g. for Halloween, Valentines, etc.)
- Surveys are highly subjective and easy to do (not needing too much brain power)
- Earn from photo contests and writing contests conducted by toluna themselves
- Can get screened out from the survey after spending a huge amount of time doing it
- Filled up surveys can still be opened which gets your hopes up but in the end says surveys are filled up
- Payments are sometimes delayed
- Few amount of surveys
- Need to be online every time and keep tabs open since surveys are on a first come first served basis
- From: Uganda
- Age: 20
- User for: 16 months
- Total earned: $100
- Avg. $/hour: $10.00
- Avg. $/month: $50
- Receives work: A few times a week
- Time to first withdrawal: 10 days
- Favorite way(s) to earn: Surveys
Overall thoughts? Toluna is a beermoney site that I would recommend to anyone since they pay quite well.
How's the user experience? Their website is optimized from time to time hence no major bugs
Any safety concerns? No.
Tips for new users? (1) Taking time to answer the survey questions carefully leads to quality feedback and more survey invites in the future. (2) Regularly check your dashboard from time to time to check for more surveys since most are based on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Daily surveys
- Can be accesed from desktob and mobile
- Demography based hence for maximum earnings one has to use an rdp or a vpn (editors note: using a VPN or RDP to access Toluna is not recommended as it'll most likely get your account banned)
- Sometimes the rewards too take longer than expected to arrive
- From: Uganda
- Age: 19
- User for: 6 months
- Total earned: $80
- Avg. $/hour: $0.70
- Avg. $/month: $10
- Receives work: A few times a week
- Time to first withdrawal: 4
- Favorite way(s) to earn: Surveys
Overall thoughts? This site cannot make you rich. Their payment is almost 74 cents per hour.
Would you recommend Toluna to others? Yes I would recommend it to anyone willing to spend 15 -20 minutes answering simple survey questions
How's the user experience? Good. Toluna's website does not have any bugs or glitches
Any safety concerns? Personally, I think the site is safe to use. I have not encountered any privacy concerns on the site itself but I would like to caution new users and even long-time users to read the terms and conditions, legal disclaimers, and the like provided by third-party websites. There are some survey sites that would ask for webcam access because they would like to gauge the user's reactions to ads or whatnot. Also, some distribute data to other survey sites and platforms to better tailor ads and possibly surveys to one's profile. Ultimately, I would advise that users proceed with this site but if any of these makes them uncomfortable, I probably would advise against using this site.
Tips for new users? (1) Take time to update and complete your profile. Answer the questions carefully because they determine the surveys you qualify for.
- They send surveys from time to time
- Low earning potential
Positive Reviews from the Web
- “I noticed there was a lack of surveys for a few days so I contacted the help centre. The lady explained why this was and checked my account. She was lovely and so helpful. I think this site is excellent and I am glad to have found it. I have been able to have lots of rewards thanks to this site. Keep up the good work” – User from the UK
- “Toluna is a good survey site and with increasing time they are adding few more options in rewards. I love it.” – User from India
- “I have been with Toluna for years. I have had a few issues over time, but the good thing about Toluna is that they have a helpdesk that actually works and helps you. Yes I agree it takes time to get to the much appreciated PayPal and Amazon vouchers, but in the end it's worth it. Besides there's another aspect to Toluna , the social interaction between the members, that have become almost a family to me. It's well worth giving it a try, even those that seem to be [disappointed] at first glance” – User from the UK
Average Reviews from the Web
- “Been taking surveys on Toluna for quite a while now. I've always got rewarded after the 6 months it takes to get enough points for a reward. I've also taken surveys that I've spent 20 or 25 minutes on then tells me the survey is full or can't find the web address. It's ok if you have the time to waste on it.“
Negative Reviews from the Web
- “I have been a member of toluna for 5 years and have been suspended for no reason they more or less said I broke rules but i had enough points for a $150 in gift cards which I cashed one out of the balance then my account was flagged without any real explanation beware of this dishonest company they are a real waste of time” – User from the US
- “Rubbish. Hardly any surveys, pointless. Email me saying there’s a survey – I click the link and nothing. They say, take this survey, click the link, nothing. Waste of time.” – User from the UK
- “[Their] app is absolutely pathetic. Constantly has technical issues and always seems to be at the end of very long [surveys]. I've had this happen to me numerous times now. They pay fairly poorly for time also.”
- “Toluna is a complete scam. I have been taking surveys and got up to 130,000 points only for them to take down my account. This took months of taking surveys so they have had all my time for free, I am fuming!!!. This is a complete con and should not be trusted.”
Here are the aggregate ratings for Toluna at the time of writing:
- Trustpilot – 3.4/5 (3,862 reviews)
- Sitejabber – 2.3/5 (29 reviews)
Most of the recent reviews of Toluna seem to be negative (1-2 stars).
One of the biggest issues with Toluna recently seems to be account suspensions. Many reviewers reported having their accounts suspended unfairly. Luckily, it seems Toluna responds to almost all of these reviews, but only some people seem to get their accounts reactivated.
Two other common complaints were to do with tech issues (e.g. surveys showing errors half way through), and slow payments.
Some positives? Good survey volume, helpful and responsive customer support, and good reward options.
Is Toluna Worth It?
If you're interested in taking surveys for cash and you have some time to kill, I think Toluna is worth trying out. But, don't rely on it for income. It's best used for when you can't do anything else, don't feel like doing anything else, or you just feel like having some fun influencing brands and interacting with a community.
In other words, it's easy money. That's about it.
Just remember the opportunity cost. If you truly have some extra time in your weeks and you want to make extra money, there are better side hustle options out there that will provide you much higher earnings.
How to Get Started on Toluna
Getting started on Toluna is easy. Here's how:
- Sign up here for 500 points
- Answer the profile surveys for 100 points each
- Start taking full surveys + explore the other areas of the site
- Connect your PayPal email in your account if you want to cash out via PayPal
- Check back often for new opportunities
- Cash out once you can (and before your points expire)!
That's really all there is to it. Good luck and have fun being a Toluna Influencer!
For a full list of Toluna alternatives + tips and more information to help you earn, read our full guide to paid survey sites.
Here are some popular Toluna alternatives to check out:
For more ideas and opportunities, check out these guides:
- Best GPT Sites (Get Paid To Sites) – Get paid to do a variety of different tasks. Similar to Toluna.
- Focus groups – These are essentially higher-paying surveys. Try Respoindent.io or User Interviews.
- Sites That Will Pay You to Test Websites and Apps – A step up from surveys and GPT tasks. Higher pay, but more work (still easy though).
Hope you found this review of Toluna Influencers helpful! If you did, please consider sharing it to spread the word.
- Are you a Toluna survey taker? Click here to leave your own short Toluna review below.
- Have questions or feedback? Leave a comment or contact us.