What Is TranscribeMe?
TranscribeMe is a crowdsourcing marketplace for transcription and translation services. Here, organizations can quickly hire crowdsourced help while freelance contractors can get paid for transcribing and translating content. Founded in 2011, the platform is based in San Francisco.
General Details 📜
|Helps You:||Hire Help Make Money|
|Platform Type:||Crowdsourcing Marketplace|
|Opportunities:||Data Labeling Transcription Translation|
Contact Info ☎️
|Socials:||LinkedIn • Twitter • Facebook • YouTube • YouTube for Freelancers|
|Emails:||firstname.lastname@example.org (for general support) • email@example.com (for sales quotes) • firstname.lastname@example.org (for opting out of email messages) • email@example.com (for copyright claims) • firstname.lastname@example.org (for freelancer questions)|
|Phone:||+1 (800) 275-5513|
|Support Pages:||Freelancer Helpdesk • Customer FAQs • Contact|
Company Details 🏢
|Legal Name:||TranscribeMe, Inc.|
|Founders:||Alexei Dunayev • Greg Feerer|
|Headquarters:||San Francisco, California, United States|
Who Is TranscribeMe For?
TranscribeMe is for two groups: (1) Organizations looking to outsource for transcription or translation services; and (2) Individuals looking to make money from home by doing freelance transcription, translation, and related work.
|Minimum Age:||18 years old|
Due to legal regulations, TranscribeMe doesn't allow freelancer sign-ups from California or Massachusetts.
TranscribeMe has an app available for customers who want to order services. Freelancers who want to work for the platform must do so from a computer.
|Other:||Freelancers must provide photo ID verification.|
How Does TranscribeMe Work?
There are 2 types of users on TranscribeMe: Freelancers and Customers.
Here's how TranscribeMe works for each of those user types:
TranscribeMe freelancers can earn money completing transcription, translation, and other specialized jobs on the platform. After accumulating $10, earnings can be cashed out via PayPal.
Key Points 🔑
|Work Type:||Contract, Freelance|
Freelancers must complete at least one job every 30 days. If you can't fulfill that requirement, you can fill out an Inactivity Notification form for temporary relief.
|Payout Speed:||0-7 days|
Payouts are processed every Thursday and are usually sent within a few hours of processing time.
Pros and cons are based on real TranscribeMe Freelancer reviews.
Getting Started 🔢
Becoming a TranscribeMe freelancer is free. To get started, head over to the platform's website and navigate to the "Freelancers" section. You can sign up for a freelancer account by providing your full name, country, email, and password.
Next, choose your transcription languages, native language, and additional languages that you know. You'll then be asked for your PayPal payment email, mobile number, gender, and photo ID.
Now you're ready for the entrance exam. Start by reading the Style Guide and the Exam Instructions. Once you're ready, you can take the 4-minute entrance exam. You're only allowed two attempts, so answer carefully.
If you pass the exam and are accepted into the platform, you're ready to start earning.
Earning Money 💵
The primary earning opportunity on TranscribeMe is general transcription. Starting out, you'll receive a compensation of $15 USD for every audio hour (AH) you transcribe. Keep in mind, one AH can take multiple real hours to transcribe.
After you submit a job, it'll be sent for review. If 30% or more of your transcript is filled with errors, it'll be automatically declined and you won't receive any pay. Otherwise, a quality assurance worker will provide corrections and decide whether or not your work is acceptable. Be sure to follow style guides and instructions to avoid rejections!
As you submit work and become more experienced, you may receive access to new training exams and additional types of work. Specialty teams that you can be invited to include:
- Accent teams. Unlock files with specific accents or spelling requirements by completing accent exams.
- First Draft Champions. Same as general transcription, but without any QA checking. Pays $22/AH + bonuses.
- Medical Team. Once you've completed at least 150 transcription jobs, you can take the medical exam to qualify for medical transcription work (no medical experience or qualifications required).
- FD Stampers Stampers add timestamps and speaker IDs to First Draft Plus files, which vary in subject matter and speaker count due to multiple clients. Pays $7/AH, with some files offering up to $10/AH. Plus bonuses.
- 2-Step QAs. This team corrects errors and adds speaker IDs and timestamps to improve transcript accuracy. Pays $15-$23/AH, or $35/AH for rush files. Plus bonuses. Requires an exam completion to qualify.
- ASR QAs. Polish transcriptions that have been created by speech recognition software. Pays $25/AH. Requires exam completion.
- Quickstep QAs This team transcribes full audio files while incorporating speaker IDs and timestamps. Completed files are sent directly to clients. Pays $35-$40/AH + bonuses.
- Full Verbatim QAs For full verbatim transcriptions, you must transcribe all utterances by the speaker(s), including filler words, feedback words, false starts, stutters, and stammers. Pays $50/AH.
- TME Plus. Gain access to more jobs by becoming a top transcriber. Must have at least 50 jobs completed, special exams, and high accuracy.
- Reviewers Highly accurate and supportive QAs may be invited to become Reviewers, offering feedback to new QAs for improvement. This opportunity is rare and by invitation only. Pays $27/AH and $13.50/AH for Snippets.
Other teams and projects may open up in the future.
By the looks of things, TranscribeMe also offers opportunities for translation and data labeling (aka data annotation), but we couldn't find much information on these, so we can't be sure.
Cashing Out 💰
Once you have at least $10 in your balance, you can cash out your TranscribeMe earnings via PayPal.
After cashing out, you can expect to receive your TranscribeMe payout in 0-7 days. (Payouts are processed every Thursday and are usually sent within a few hours of processing time.)
Tip: Read our TranscribeMe Earning Guide to learn more about making money on the platform.
TranscribeMe customers can utilize the platform's crowd of workers to quickly outsource transcription, translation, and data annotation tasks.
Key Points 🔑
|Commissions / Fees:||Unknown|
|Payment Options:||Credit Card|
Getting Started 🔢
Simply head over to the TranscribeMe website (or download the app) and browse the services. Once you find what you're looking for, you can purchase services directly through the website or app.
Pricing varies by service:
- Human transcription starts at $0.79 per minute
- Translation starts at $0.011 per word
- Machine transcription starts at $0.07 per minute
- Data annotation starts at $0.10 per task
If you're looking for a custom quote, you can contact TranscribeMe directly.
Free Platform Discovery Tool
Find other helpful platforms for making money, managing your finances, growing your business, and more!Try It!