Note: We may earn a commission from affiliate links on this page. These do not affect our ratings or recommendations.
About Prolific (for Participants)
Prolific participants can earn money by participating in academic and market research-related surveys, focus groups, interviews, diary studies, and more. After accumulating £5, earnings can be cashed out via PayPal.
General Details 📜
|Helps You:||Hire Help Make Money|
|Platform Type:||Crowdsourcing Marketplace|
|Opportunities:||Academic Research Participation Diary Study Participation Focus Group Participation Market Research Participation Research Interview Participation |
Key Points 🔑
You can only cash out once every 24 hours.
|Payout Speed:||0-4 days|
Prolific processes payouts every Tuesday and Friday afternoon. After you've requested at least four (4) payouts, you'll be moved to instant payouts. Note that the earnings from a study won't be available for payout until they're approved by the researcher running the study, which can take up to 22 days.
|Other Notes:||Prolific may require you to verify your identity with an ID check.|
- Fair pay. Prolific enforces a minimum hourly rate of around $8 USD/hour, which is much higher than most other survey platforms. If a researcher really likes your response, they may even give you a bonus.
- Mostly accurate time estimates. Unlike some survey sites that say a survey is 5 minutes when it's really 30, Prolific offers much better estimates. Not perfect, but better.
- Descriptive surveys. Before taking a survey, you can see what it's about.
- Studies may appear in your native language. That means if you speak Spanish, you'll occasionally receive Spanish studies in your dashboard.
- No mid-study screeners. Prolific researchers can’t screen you out halfway through a survey. If a survey appears in your dashboard and you qualify for it and fill it out honestly and accurately (watch out for attention checks!), you should always get paid.
- Instant payments are available after you've made a certain number of payouts.
- Low payout minimum.
- Studies should never require any personally identifiable information. You can report studies that breach this.
- Limited study invitations. You won't be earning super consistently in most cases. On top of this, studies fill up really fast, so you've got to be quick if you want to qualify.
- Delayed earnings. You need to wait up to 22 days for your study submissions to get approved by researchers.
- Can only cash out via PayPal. This isn't a huge con, but it's a downside for anyone who can't get a PayPal account.
- No paid referral program.
- Make use of the Prolific Assistant browser extension. It's available on Chrome and Firefox and will notify you when new studies are available.
- Keep your dashboard open so you can reserve a spot in new studies as soon as they become available.
- Be sure to read all questions carefully and provide quality responses. Low-quality responses may be denied. Watch out for attention checks and comprehension as well. If you answer an attention check or comprehension check wrong, the researcher has the right to reject your answers (which means you don't get paid).
- If you believe your study submission was wrongly rejected, kindly reach out to the researcher to try and work something out. If they don't respond, reach out to Prolific support.
- If you run into a study that's taking much longer than the estimated time, paying way too little, or asking for sensitive personal information, report it! Prolific will ban the researcher and sometimes even reimburse you for lost time.
Note: The pros, cons, and tips featured above are manually curated summaries and/or direct excerpts from our 32 Prolific Participant reviews.