Note: We may earn a commission from affiliate links on this page. These do not affect our ratings or recommendations.
PlaytestCloud Review At a Glance
- We believe PlaytestCloud is legit. We gave it a trust rating of 5/5. View reasoning.
- Based on our combined research and user reviews, PlaytestCloud seems to be a good earning opportunity for Playtesters. It has an overall earner score of 3.7/5. View our research or read the user reviews.
- Based on our combined research and user reviews, PlaytestCloud seems to provide an okay product/service for Customers. It has an overall consumer score of 2.5/5. View our research.
What Is PlaytestCloud?
PlaytestCloud is a crowdtesting platform that connects mobile game developers with paid freelance playtesters from around the globe. Founded in 2014, the platform claims to have over 1M playtesters who get paid for providing feedback on a variety of mobile games from developers like Zynga, Ubisoft, Gameloft, and many more.
General Details 📜
|Helps You:||Hire Help Make Money|
|Opportunities:||Market Research Participation Moderated Testing Research Interview Participation Software Testing Survey Taking |
Contact Info ☎️
|Socials:||LinkedIn • Twitter • YouTube • YouTube for Playtesters|
|Emails:||email@example.com (for game studio support/sales) • firstname.lastname@example.org (for playtester support)|
|Phone:||+49 30 35526749|
|Support Pages:||Customer Help Center • Playtester Help Center • Contact • On-site chat|
Company Details 🏢
|Legal Name:||PlaytestCloud GmbH|
|Founders:||Marvin Killing • Christian Ress|
Who Is PlaytestCloud For?
PlaytestCloud is for two groups: (1) Game developers looking to conduct remote playtests of their mobile games with players from around the world; and (2) Gamers looking to earn money by testing mobile games and providing feedback on their experiences.
|Minimum Age:||3 years old|
Those under 13 years old must have consent from a verified parent or legal guardian.
Most players are from the US, UK, and Canada, where playtester demand is highest.
|Supported Devices:||Android Phone, Android Tablet, iPad, iPhone|
Playtesters must have access to an iOS or Android device to download and test games. Game developers can access and conduct playtests on PlaytestCloud via web browser on any device (user experience may vary).
|Other:||Playtesters must have a PayPal account.|
How Does PlaytestCloud Work?
There are 2 types of users on PlaytestCloud:
- Playtesters (earners)
- Customers (buyers / consumers)
Here's how PlaytestCloud works for each of those user types:
How PlaytestCloud Works For Playtesters
PlaytestCloud playtesters can earn money by participating in mobile video game playtests, surveys about video games, and more. After completing a test or task and having it reviewed, earnings are sent via PayPal.
Key Points 🔑
|Work Type:||Contract, Freelance|
|Payout Options:||Charity Donations PayPal Prepaid Credit Cards Tremendous Rewards Venmo |
PlaytestCloud uses Tremendous Rewards as its payout provider. Options may vary depending on your location.
|Payout Speed:||0-7 days|
Some playtest payouts are processed the day of, others can take a bit longer.
|Other Notes:||(1) All test information is confidential — never share details about a test you've done. (2) Players may only have one account. (3) Using an emulator to participate in playtests is prohibited.|
Pros, cons, and tips are based on real PlaytestCloud Playtester reviews.
Getting Started 🔢
Becoming a PlaytestCloud playtester is free. To get started, head over to the platform's website and sign up. When creating your account, you'll be asked to provide your email, full name, game preferences, gaming devices, country, gender, and birthdate.
From there, if you're eligible, PlaytestCloud will send you a qualification test. This is an unpaid test that will walk you through how to conduct a playtest and evaluate your abilities. It'll take 5-10 minutes.
Once you're finished, wait for your results. This typically takes a couple of days. If everything goes well, you'll be able to start receiving paid tests. If you don't pass, you'll receive some feedback and an opportunity to try again.
Earning Money 💵
The main way to earn money on PlaytestCloud is by participating in mobile game playtests. Whenever a playtest is available that fits your interests and devices, you'll receive an email.
Within the email will be instructions on how to download the game and conduct the playtest. In some cases, you may need to fill out a screener survey to qualify for the test. Before accepting a test, you can see how much it pays and how long it is.
Once you start a test, simply play the game while following the given instructions and speaking your thoughts out loud. When you finish the playtest, you may also be asked to answer a post-test survey.
Other ways to earn on PlaytestCloud include:
- Surveys. Respond to a survey related to a video game concept, idea, or similar.
- Research interviews. Participate in 1-on-1 video interviews with game developers to test games and provide feedback in real time. These are most commonly done after an unmoderated playtest as a follow-up.
- Concept tests. These typically involve responding to a video game concept in the form of a slideshow or other presentation. You'll be asked to record your screen and audio while reacting to the concept.
Cashing Out 💰
Once you have earned any amount of money (there's no minimum payout), you can cash out your PlaytestCloud earnings via Charity Donations, PayPal, Prepaid Credit Cards, Tremendous Rewards or Venmo.
After cashing out, you can expect to receive your PlaytestCloud payout in 0-7 days. (Some playtest payouts are processed the day of, others can take a bit longer.)
How PlaytestCloud Works For Customers
PlaytestCloud customers (i.e. game developers) can utilize the platform's network of crowdsourced gamers to conduct mobile game playtests, concept tests, research surveys, live playtest interviews, and more.
Key Points 🔑
|Costs / Fees:||Pricing varies based on your plan. Test tokens start at $120/ea.|
|Payment Options:||Credit Card, Invoice, SEPA|
SEPA payments are only considered via special request.
|Other Notes:||(1) No communication with testers outside of the platform. (2) Must keep tester identities private.|
Getting Started 🔢
To become a PlaytestCloud customer, head over to the platform's website and sign up. You'll be asked to provide your full name, organization, and email. From there, you can select your payment plan and start creating and running tests.
Running Tests 💼
There are two primary types of playtests you can run on PlaytestCloud:
- Natural gameplay. With these tests, the playtester will simply play your game however they like, for a specific amount of time.
- Task-based. With these tests, you'll give the playtester a specific set of tasks to complete while playing your game. They'll do their best to complete all the tasks within a specific amount of time.
With both types of tests, the playtester will speak their thoughts and give feedback along the way. Tests can be unmoderated or conducted live over a video conferencing tool.
To select specific players for your test (if you don't plan on bringing your own), you can target them using PlaytestCloud's demographic targeting options. You can also add a pre-screener survey to further filter out testers.
After a player completes your test, you can (optionally) send a follow-up survey to gather additional data. You can also re-target specific testers for more in-depth follow-ups.
PlaytestCloud offers a pay-as-you-go starter plan as well as professional subscription plans.
Each plan uses video tokens to pay for playtests and other research methods. For example, 1 video token can be exchanged for a standard unmoderated video-recorded playtest. Things like advanced player targeting will increase the token cost per playtest.
Here's a breakdown of each available plan:
- Starter plan: allows you to purchase video tokens for $120/ea. Advanced audience targeting and customizable playtesting are not available.
- One-off plan: has a $3,000 project minimum and allows for more customizable features. Tokens are still $120/ea.
- Professional plans: range from $1,085-$2,375 per month and include a varying number of video tokens per year. Professional plans also unlock additional features like more playtest types, advanced audience targeting, and more.
- Enterprise plan: available at a custom price point and includes more tokens, all the features on the professional plans, and custom compliance consulting from PlaytestCloud.
If you're not satisfied with a video or response you receive during testing, you can choose between a replacement video or a refund for that specific video.
Free Platform Discovery Tool
Find other helpful platforms for making money, managing your finances, growing your business, and more!Try It!