Note: We may earn a commission from affiliate links on this page. These do not affect our ratings or recommendations.
Neighbor Storage Review At a Glance
- We believe Neighbor Storage is legit. We gave it a trust rating of 5/5. View reasoning.
- Based on our combined research and user reviews, Neighbor Storage seems to be a good earning opportunity for Hosts. It has an overall earner score of 3.5/5. View our research.
- Based on our combined research and user reviews, Neighbor Storage seems to provide a good product/service for Renters. It has an overall consumer score of 5/5. View our research.
What Is Neighbor Storage?
Neighbor.com is a storage marketplace platform that connects owners of extra storage space (driveways, attics, garage spaces, etc.) with renters looking for places to store their extra belongings. Founded in 2017, the platform is based in Utah.
General Details 📜
|Helps You:||Make Money Rent|
|Platform Type:||Rental Marketplace|
|Opportunities:||Refer-a-Friend Storage Renting|
Contact Info ☎️
|Socials:||Instagram • Twitter • Facebook • Tiktok • Youtube|
|Support Pages:||Help Desk • FAQ • Contact|
Company Details 🏢
|Legal Name:||Neighbor Storage, Inc.|
|Also Known As:||Neighbor.com|
|Founders:||Colton Gardner • Joseph Woodbury • Preston Alder|
|Headquarters:||Lehi, Utah, United States|
Who Is Neighbor Storage For?
Neighbor is for two groups of people: (1) Individuals (renters) looking for a potentially more affordable way to rent out storage space; and (2) Individuals (hosts) looking to monetize extra space they have in their home, garage, or similar.
|Minimum Age:||18 years old|
|Supported Locations:||United States|
|Supported Devices:||Android Phone, Android Tablet, Computer Browser, iPad, iPhone |
Neighbor Storage can be accessed via web browser on any device (user experience may vary) or via the Neighbor Storage app on Google Play or the Apple App store.
How Does Neighbor Storage Work?
There are 2 types of users on Neighbor Storage:
- Hosts (earners)
- Renters (buyers / consumers)
Here's how Neighbor Storage works for each of those user types:
How Neighbor Storage Works For Hosts
Neighbor Storage hosts can earn money by renting out owned space like a garage, attic, parking space, shed, warehouse, or similar, to renters on the platform. Once a space is rented out, payouts are sent automatically via direct deposit on a monthly basis.
Key Points 🔑
|Income Type:||Active, Portfolio, Semi-Passive|
You'll need to communicate with renters on Neighbor Storage to get the setup in your space, but after that, the income is passive as long your space remains rented out. This can also be considered portfolio income.
|Payout Options:||Direct Deposit Gift Cards Amazon Gift Card|
Direct deposits are for rent earnings only, Amazon gift cards are for referral earnings only.
|Payout Speed:||3-7 days|
Payouts are initiated at the end of each monthly (30-day) period. Once initiated, payouts are processed on business days only. Exact payout speeds may vary depending on your bank.
|Commissions / Fees:||4.9% + $0.30 processing fee on each payout. If you cancel your storage space without giving your renter 30 days notice, you'll face a $60 early eviction fee.|
|Sign Up Bonus:||Get a $50 bonus when you use a referral link (use ours by pressing the "Visit Platform" button on this page) and earn $100 with your space. Sign up here.|
|Other Notes:||Repeated cancellations by hosts may result in further fees, expulsion from the Neighbor community, and restriction of access to the platform.|
Pros, cons, and tips are based on real Neighbor Storage Host reviews.
Getting Started 🔢
Becoming a host on Neighbor Storage is free. To get started, you can either visit the website or head over to Google Play Store or App Store to download the app and create an account. You can sign up via email or an existing Google or Facebook account.
Once you're signed up, you'll want to verify your phone number and ID. ID verification is done through a third-party service. Both of these are required before you can finalize and publish your storage listings.
It's also a good idea at this point to fill out your profile by adding a photo and bio. This isn't 100% required, but it'll make your listings more attractive and trustworthy to potential renters.
Sign up bonus: Get a $50 bonus when you use a referral link (use ours by pressing the "Visit Platform" button on this page) and earn $100 with your space.
Earning Money 💵
Hosting a rental space is the primary way to earn money with Neighbor. There are a variety of different spaces you could rent for cash, including:
- Parking lot
- Self-storage unit
- Street parking
- Shipping container
- Unpaved lot
- Side yard
- Business building
- and much more
To list your space, you'll need to provide:
- Basic information (location, storage type, dimensions, accessibility, availability, terms, etc.)
- Special features (e.g. security camera? pet-free? smoke alarms? etc.)
- Photos (not required but definitely recommended)
- Desired monthly price (Neighbor will give you a starting price to work with based on other spaces in your area).
Once your space is listed and a renter sends a storage request, you'll receive a notification. You'll have 48 hours to approve or deny it. Before approving a request, you'll be able to see the renter's first and last name, what they're planning to store, the time they'd like to rent for, and any other info they have on their public profile. You can also send them a chat.
Once you approve a renter, you can set up a drop-off time and then start making money from your space.
Other ways to earn money on Neighbor Storage include:
- Referrals. You can earn a $50 Amazon gift card when you refer another host who successfully rents out a space of their own.
Cashing Out 💰
Once you have earned any amount of money (there's no minimum payout), you can cash out your Neighbor Storage earnings via Direct Deposit or Gift Cards.
After cashing out, you can expect to receive your Neighbor Storage payout in 3-7 days. (Payouts are initiated at the end of each monthly (30-day) period. Once initiated, payouts are processed on business days only. Exact payout speeds may vary depending on your bank.)
How Neighbor Storage Works For Renters
Neighbor Storage renters can use the platform to find and rent out a variety of storage spaces in their area including driveways, garages, attics, and more. Payments are taken out on a monthly basis and completed via credit card.
Key Points 🔑
|Costs / Fees:||Pricing varies per storage space. Neighbor charges a service fee of around 8-10% of the monthly rent price. Additional fees may be charged for the delayed removal of Stored Items.|
|Payment Options:||Credit Card|
|Other Notes:||Renter should not store property with a total value in excess of $50,000. Renter must leave the Space in good "broom clean" condition.|
Getting Started 🔢
Before being able to rent out a space on Neighbor.com, you'll need to create an account. This will require your full name, email, and phone number. You can also sign up via an existing Google or Facebook account.
Renting Space 💼
Renting space on Neighbor Storage is pretty straightforward:
- Search for a space: You can do this by entering your zip code or city in the search bar. The system will then display different storage options based on location, size, type, and price.
- Review listings: Click on a listing to get more information about the dimensions, location, pricing, and whether the space is climate-controlled or not. Photos of the space are provided, and you can also read the host's requirements or restrictions (if any).
- Book storage: Once you find your ideal storage space, click the "Reserve" button and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Confirmation and contact: Once you've placed your reservation request, the host has 24 hours to respond. If your request is accepted, you and the host can then communicate directly through the platform to set up a move-in date.
- Storing: Once moved in, your monthly rent for the space will be automatically drawn from your card. Recurring payments are taken every 30 days that you remain in the space.
- Moving out: Once you're ready to move your belongings out of storage, you can contact the host to organize a move-out date and termination of the rental agreement.
Hosts set their own prices on Neighbor Storage, so the amount you pay for storage space will vary based on its location, size, features, etc. On average, you can expect to pay around $20/month for a 5x5 space.
Also, a small service fee is included in each monthly rental payment. The amount varies depending on how and where you decide to store your items but typically ranges from 8%-10% of the base rental price. You can see the Service Fee on any listing by looking under "Subtotal".
Additional fees may be charged for the delayed removal of Stored Items.
Free Platform Discovery Tool
Find other helpful platforms for making money, managing your finances, growing your business, and more!Try It!