Note: We may earn a commission from affiliate links on this page. These do not affect our ratings or recommendations.
HopSkipDrive Review At a Glance
- We believe HopSkipDrive is legit. We gave it a trust rating of 5/5. View reasoning.
- Based on our combined research and user reviews, HopSkipDrive seems to be an okay earning opportunity for CareDrivers. It has an overall earner score of 3.4/5. View our research.
- Based on our combined research and user reviews, HopSkipDrive seems to provide an okay product/service for Ride Organizers. It has an overall consumer score of 3.4/5. View our research.
What Is HopSkipDrive?
HopSkipDrive is a transportation platform that helps schools and families arrange safe and reliable transportation for their students/children. The drivers, who double as caregivers, are independent contractors who can sign up to earn extra money on their own schedule. Founded in 2014, the platform claims to have facilitated over 3M rides.
General Details 📜
|Helps You:||Hire Help Make Money|
|Platform Type:||Transportation Marketplace|
|Opportunities:||Refer-a-Friend Rideshare Driving|
Contact Info ☎️
|Socials:||LinkedIn • Facebook • Instagram • Twitter • YouTube|
|Emails:||email@example.com (general company support) • firstname.lastname@example.org (for driver support) • email@example.com (for privacy inquiries)|
|Support Pages:||Contact • Driver Helpdesk • Driver FAQs • Client Helpdesk • School FAQs|
Company Details 🏢
|Legal Name:||HopSkipDrive, Inc.|
|Founders:||Joanna Newman McFarland • Janelle McGlothlin • Carolyn Yashari Becher|
|Headquarters:||California, United States|
Who Is HopSkipDrive For?
HopSkipDrive is for two groups: (1) Families and school districts looking to organize safe and reliable transportation for their students/children; and (2) Drivers with caregiving experience who want to earn extra money on their own schedule by helping students in their community.
|Minimum Age:||23 years old|
This minimum age primarily applies to drivers.
|Supported Locations:||United States|
Only available in certain metropolitan areas across the United States.
|Supported Devices:||Android Phone, iPhone|
|Other:||CareDrivers must have 5 years of caregiving experience, access to a 4-door vehicle no more than 10 years old, and willingness to consent to a variety of background checks.|
How Does HopSkipDrive Work?
There are 2 types of users on HopSkipDrive:
- CareDrivers (earners)
- Ride Organizers (buyers / consumers)
Here's how HopSkipDrive works for each of those user types:
How HopSkipDrive Works For CareDrivers
HopSkipDrive CareDrivers can earn money by driving children/students to and from school, extracurricular activities, and similar. Payments are sent weekly via direct deposit.
Key Points 🔑
|Work Type:||Contract, Freelance|
|Payout Options:||Direct Deposit|
Payments are made through Stripe.
|Payout Speed:||1-9 days|
Each Monday, CareDrivers receive a weekly summary of their earnings for rides they completed the previous Monday-Sunday period. This summary provides the final fare for each ride plus bonuses (non-referral-based incentives, fare boosts, manual ride fare adjustments, etc.) and reimbursements (for tolls, parking, etc.). CareDrivers should see their deposit in their bank account by the end of day on Wednesdays.
|Sign Up Bonus:||Newly certified CareDrivers can earn $50 per ride during HopSkipDrive’s Hello and Welcome earnings guarantee. If a CareDriver claims and completes 10 rides within 14 days of being certified on the platform, HopSkipDrive guarantees they will earn at least $500. Sign up here.|
Pros, cons, and tips are based on real HopSkipDrive CareDriver reviews.
Getting Started 🔢
Becoming a HopSkipDrive CareDriver is free, but there is a rigorous certification process in place. This can take 25-60 days to complete.
The initial sign-up begins with a questionnaire asking you to confirm that you meet the following basic CareDriver requirements:
- A minimum of 5 years of caregiving experience
- At least 23 years old
- Have access to a 4-door vehicle no more than 10 years old
- Willingness to consent to multi-agency background checks, including fingerprinting
After the initial questionnaire, it's up to you to move through the steps in the certification process, which include:
- Uploading required documents (driver’s license, vehicle registration, etc.)
- Consenting to a Motor Vehicle Report, and completing an accident form for any accidents on the report
- Background checks
- Child abuse and neglect check
- Vehicle inspection
- Virtual orientation
Sign up bonus: Newly certified CareDrivers can earn $50 per ride during HopSkipDrive’s Hello and Welcome earnings guarantee. If a CareDriver claims and completes 10 rides within 14 days of being certified on the platform, HopSkipDrive guarantees they will earn at least $500.
Earning Money 💵
As a CareDriver, you're paid for every ride completed on the HopSkipDrive platform.
Pay consists of:
- A base fare. Varies by region and is set based on the time and distance of the ride.
- Fare boosts. Additional pay on a ride. You'll see applicable boosts when reviewing available rides in the CareDriver app.
- Promotions. Opportunities to earn more by meeting certain terms. For example, you may earn a bonus for completing your 10th ride. All available promotions are visible in the CareDriver app.
Before claiming a ride, you'll always be able to see an estimate of your earnings. When you complete a ride, you'll see your finalized earnings. All pay information is available in the CareDriver app, and is also outlined via email on a weekly basis.
- Ride qualifications. Some rides have additional qualifications (e.g. require a booster seat) and therefore may pay more.
- Ride cancellations. If a ride you claimed is canceled one to eight hours before the pickup time, you'll be paid half the estimated fare. If it's canceled within one hour of the pickup time, you'll be paid the full estimated fare.
- Referrals. You can receive $20 for each new CareDriver you refer, plus an additional bonus once they complete their first ride. (Referral bonuses vary by state.)
Cashing Out 💰
Once you have earned any amount of money (there's no minimum payout), you can cash out your HopSkipDrive earnings via Direct Deposit.
After cashing out, you can expect to receive your HopSkipDrive payout in 1-9 days. (Each Monday, CareDrivers receive a weekly summary of their earnings for rides they completed the previous Monday-Sunday period. This summary provides the final fare for each ride plus bonuses (non-referral-based incentives, fare boosts, manual ride fare adjustments, etc.) and reimbursements (for tolls, parking, etc.). CareDrivers should see their deposit in their bank account by the end of day on Wednesdays.)
How HopSkipDrive Works For Ride Organizers
HopSkipDrive ride organizers can use the platform to easily arrange rides for their students or children. These rides are then claimed by thoroughly vetted CareDrivers. During the ride, ride organizers get real-time updates and have peace of mind knowing all rides are tracked live.
Key Points 🔑
|Costs / Fees:||Varies per ride. Estimates are available before booking a ride. In some cases, additional charges will apply, including wait time fees, cancellation fees, damage fees, and tolls.|
|Payment Options:||Credit Card|
Getting Started 🔢
It's free to sign up for HopSkipDrive as a ride organizer. To create your account, you'll need to provide your first and last name, email address, phone number, and home address.
Organizing Rides 💼
Once you've completed the sign-up process, your next step is to create rider profiles for each person you'll be scheduling rides for. When setting up a rider profile, you'll be asked for the rider's full name, date of birth, gender, phone number, email, school, caregiver info, and more.
From there, you can start scheduling rides. To do this, simply select the rider, choose a date, select the route type (pickup or drop-off), and set the time and locations for the ride. You can add additional riders at the end of this setup. Rides can be scheduled up to 12 months in advance.
When a ride has started, you can track it through the HopSkipDrive app.
If you need to cancel a ride before it starts, you can do so for free if you cancel eight (8) hours or more before the first pickup. Otherwise, you'll need to pay 50%-100% of the ride fare depending on how late you cancel.
Pricing varies per ride. You can see an estimated ride fare using the HopSkipDrive Fare Estimator Tool.
You can also see an estimated fare when booking a ride in the HopSkipDrive app. Once you schedule a ride, the final cost of the ride will not vary from the price displayed in the app unless changes are made to the ride details or a wait fee is incurred.
Free Platform Discovery Tool
Find other helpful platforms for making money, managing your finances, growing your business, and more!Try It!