About GoTranscript (for Freelancers)
GoTranscript freelancers can earn money by transcribing, captioning, and/or translating audio and video files. After completing a task and having it checked and confirmed by an editor, earnings can be cashed out via PayPal or Payoneer.
General Details 📜
|Helps You:||Hire Help Make Money|
|Platform Type:||Crowdsourcing Marketplace|
Key Points 📝
|Work Type:||Contract, Freelance|
|Payout Options:||Payoneer PayPal|
|Payout Speed:||0-9 days|
Payouts are processed every Friday. Completed files are only available for payout after they've been reviewed (which typically takes 1-2 days).
- Application test can be retaken if necessary.
- No minimum payout. You can generate payments without having to meet a certain payout minimum, every week.
- Decent amount of work available. There are typically always 3-5 audio files (or more) available on the dashboard at any given time.
- Hiring worldwide.
- Safe, reliable, and not sketchy. Since it’s a transcription site, it relies on you doing your job instead of answering surveys or doing other things that ask for a ton of personal information.
- Flexible work. You can work when you want, and as much or as little as you want.
- Good for skill-building. If you're new to transcription, GoTranscript is a good place to learn the trade. Editors will give you feedback and you'll experience working with guidelines and a transcription tool.
- Application test requires a 95% accuracy score, which can be tough for new transcribers.
- Low rates. The amount you earn is nowhere near enough to compensate for the amount of work and time you put into transcription. You'll earn far below minimum wage, almost anywhere in the world.
- Bad audio quality in files. Most of the files available for transcription are of terrible quality; unintelligible with lots of background noise and cross-talking.
- Editors can be nit-picky. Some editors will give you low ratings for your transcription with little to no rhyme or reason.
- Familiarize yourself with the GoTranscript guidelines, especially before taking the application test. Accuracy is very important when it comes to transcription work. For paid work, you'll want to maintain, at minimum, a 3.6/5 rating. Any lower and you could risk getting kicked off the platform. Also, if you maintain a high rating (4.5 or higher) you may be invited to become an editor, subtitler, and/or captioner, which can mean more work and more money.
- Preview audio files before taking them on. Ensure that you are able to accurately understand the spoken content.
- Use keyboard shortcuts or equipment like a foot pedal to increase your transcription efficiency and, in turn, your hourly rate.
- Do a quick first-draft transcription and then go back and re-listen to the audio to fix it up. This can be much faster than trying to listen to the same chunk of audio over and over again and listening to the full file can often help you understand the context of the conversation better.
Note: The pros, cons, and tips featured above are manually curated summaries and/or direct excerpts from our 9 GoTranscript Freelancer reviews.