Note: We may earn a commission from affiliate links on this page. These do not affect our ratings or recommendations.
About Appen (for Contributors)
Appen contributors can make money working on projects and microtasks related to content moderation, data collection, data labeling, translation, transcription, search engine evaluation, and more. After accumulating $5, earnings can be cashed out via Payoneer.
General Details 📜
|Helps You:||Hire Help Make Money|
|Platform Type:||Crowdsourcing Marketplace|
|Opportunities:||Data Collection Data Labeling Microtasking Search Engine Evaluation Social Media Evaluation |
Key Points 🔑
|Work Type:||Contract, Freelance|
|Work Schedule:||Flexible, Full-Time, Part-Time|
Some projects on Appen will require a minimum number of hours while others are flexible.
|Payout Speed:||1-30 days|
Contributors are compensated at the end of each month after submitting an invoice for the hours worked.
- No prior experience required to sign up and start earning.
- Can be semi-consistent income if you qualify for good projects.
- Good way to learn new skills.
- Low earnings and/or inconsistent earnings. Pay varies across projects and getting accepted into some projects can be difficult.
- Part-time in most cases.
- Unpaid qualification tests. You may need to take unpaid exams to apply for certain projects.
- Support is a hit or miss. Appen has thousands of workers and it seems their support team can sometimes take a bit to get to everyone's support tickets.
- Read the project description carefully before applying. Some projects require you to be from a certain country, speak a certain language, have a specific phone, etc. so make sure you qualify before applying so as not to waste any time.
- Be on your game when taking qualification tests for projects. In most cases, you only get one attempt to pass!
- When recording audio for voice recording projects, it is important to pause for half a second after pressing the record button and to not end the recording too quickly. This ensures that the audio is captured clearly and accurately.
- When working on translation/transcription jobs, use good quality earphones, transcription software, and grammar software to speed up your work and improve your accuracy.
Note: The pros, cons, and tips featured above are manually curated summaries and/or direct excerpts from our 14 Appen Contributor reviews.