Note: We may earn a commission from affiliate links on this page. These do not affect our ratings or recommendations.
About Amazon Mechanical Turk (for Workers)
Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) workers can earn money by completing small tasks known as Human Intelligence Tasks (HITs). These tasks can include things like identifying specific content in an image or video, writing product descriptions, answering survey questions, collecting data, and more. After accumulating $1, earnings can be cashed out via direct deposit or Amazon gift card.
General Details 📜
|Helps You:||Hire Help Make Money|
|Platform Type:||Crowdsourcing Marketplace|
|Opportunities:||Academic Research Participation Data Categorization Data Collection Data Entry Data Labeling |
Key Points 🔑
|Work Type:||Contract, Freelance|
|Payout Options:||Direct Deposit Gift Cards Amazon Gift Card|
Direct deposits are only available for U.S. bank accounts and are only available for some non-U.S. workers.
|Payout Speed:||3 days|
Workers can choose to receive payouts every 3, 7, 14 or 30 days. Payouts are sent automatically.
|Other Notes:||As a new Worker on Amazon Mechanical Turk, your earnings will be held until you have actively used the platform for a minimum of 10 days, beginning from the day you submit your first HIT.|
- Flexibility to work when, where, and however much you want.
- Variety of tasks available.
- Earning potential can be high (some workers have reported earning hundreds or even thousands of dollars per month).
- Low pay (many tasks on MTurk pay very little, sometimes only a few cents per task).
- Competition (there are many workers on MTurk, which means that there can be a lot of competition for the higher-paying tasks).
- Inconsistent work (the availability of tasks on MTurk can vary, which means that there may not always be enough work available for workers to earn a consistent income).
- There's a learning curve. To really excel on MTurk, you have to be willing to learn the platform and possibly use third-party scripts and extensions to improve your efficiency.
- Carefully read and follow task instructions to prevent task rejections. If you have questions about a task, don't hesitate to contact requesters for clarification.
- Use third-party scripts/extensions. These can be used to increase efficiency, avoid bad requesters (ie. those who reject a lot of tasks), and more.
- Be cautious about working with requesters who frequently reject tasks. Especially when you're new to the platform (ie. haven't submitted many tasks), you want to avoid task rejections as much as possible.
- Take qualification tests when they're available. These can give you access to exclusive and higher-paying tasks.
- Leverage forums like Turker Nation and MTurk Forum for staying informed and up-to-date with the latest news and developments on MTurk. These forums can help you learn from the experiences of other workers.
Note: The pros, cons, and tips featured above are manually curated summaries and/or direct excerpts from our 18 Amazon Mechanical Turk Worker reviews.