Perksy came into the survey industry swinging. With a beautifully designed app and a fantastic user experience, I expected it to be one of the best survey apps in the game by now.
But…over time, the app hasn't quite lived up to expectations. Read this full Perksy review and guide to learn more about how Perksy works, where it has gone wrong, and what it needs to do to redeem itself.
Table of Contents
Key Points ⚡
|Location(s)||Canada, United States|
|Avg. Work Volume||Less than a few opportunities a month|
|Ways to Earn||Surveys, referrals|
|Payout Options||Gift Cards|
|Avg. Payment Speed||0 days|
What is Perksy?
Perksy is a market research app that pays you for your opinions. According to their site, they've worked with brands like Airbnb, Smuckers, and PepsiCo, meaning when you sign up you may get to influence those brands or similar.
- Founded: 2015
- Name: Perksy, Inc
- Located: 220 Lafayette St, New York, New York 10012, US
- Founder: Nadia Genevieve Masri
- Socials: Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
- Contact details: in-app chat | email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Is Perksy Legit?
Yes, Perksy is legit. Here are some points to support that claim:
- They pay (payment proof below)
- It's free to sign up
- The app is straightforward and easy to understand
- It's easy to find the founder behind the site
That said, there are some red flags:
- The minimum payout is decently high at $25
- Support doesn't respond
I've seen a lot of people calling Perksy a scam because they'll get to around 2,400 points (right before being able to redeem a gift card) and then they claim Perksy will stop sending them Stacks.
Is it just a coincidence?
Well, I documented my own journey to see if the same thing would happen to me, and it didn't.
As you can see from the photo above, I reached 2,492 points on Feb 7, 2019. I was literally 8 points away from a reward, and I was honestly a bit worried about getting scammed as well.
However, two days later on Feb 9, I got another Stack which awarded me 50 points, which gave me more than enough to redeem a $25 gift card.
That said, in 2021 (at the time of updating this review) I haven't received any stacks in over 2 years, and I have over 700 points sitting in my account. So, I really don't know what causes the stacks to dry up, but I could see it happening before hitting the cash-out limit, and that would be extremely frustrating. It would feel a lot like a scam.
I waited until I had at least 2,500 points in my account to write this review so I could request a gift card, and here's the Perksy payment proof:
To further make sure it was legit, I checked the balance of the card on the Cineplex website, and it's real!
Here's the proof:
All I have to say is, I'm excited to see a free movie with my new gift card! Probably the easiest $25 I've ever made.
Who Can Join?
- Age requirement: 13 years old.
- Country requirements: Canada, United States
- Device requirements: Perksy is currently only available for iOS through the Apple App Store.
- Payout requirements: Verified email, verified PayPal, and verified phone number.
Conducted on September 30, 2021.
- Personal data collected from Perksy playtesters:
- For account creation: Name, email address, phone number, password, demographic information, company of employment, job title.
- Through surveys: Demographic and other non personally identifiable info.
- Do they share user data? Yes, in certain cases: with consent for marketing purposes, for legal purposes, for work purposes, and in aggregate and/or anonymized form.
- Do they sell user data? No.
- Can you opt out? Yes, by deleting your account.
- Can you delete your account and data? Yes, go to settings > Account > Delete Account.
Is Perksy Safe?
Obligatory disclaimer: Nothing on the internet is 100% safe or private. The above are opinions based on our independent research. Please take caution and do your own due diligence.
Perksy support used to be great. I'd reached out to them before on two separate occasions with two issues I had and they responded promptly and set things straight.
Throughout 2020-2021 though, my experience with Perksy support has been horrible. I've contacted them several times asking about the shortage of stacks and my issue with referrals not crediting, and I haven't received a single response. Eventually, my messages through the in-app chat just get deleted. It's very frustrating.
How Does Perksy Work?
The way Perksy works is quite simple and similar to other paid survey platforms.
Once you've signed up and created your account, you'll be asked to provide some demographic details (like your sex, gender identity, nationality, languages, relationship status, household size, etc.). This info helps Perksy match you with relevant surveys.
Surveys — known as a Stacks in the Perksy app — are really easy to fill out. Simply tap a stack in your dashboard to get started and you'll be on your way. The survey questions on Perksy are typically multiple-choice and short answer questions.
Some great things about Perksy are that surveys are short (with accurate time estimates) and they pay no matter what (no DQs without pay).
After you've earned at least $25 worth of points (100 points = $1) you'll be able to cash out. You can choose from a variety of gift cards for payment.
Perksy Earning Potential
When you get a Stack, Perksy definitely pays fairly for the amount of time you'll spend on it. For example, I've earned 50 points ($0.50) for a Stack that only took around 1 minute to complete.
That's not always the case though, and when averaged out, you can expect around $1-$5/hour.
The reason it's hard to earn a lot with Perksy is that you may only get one stack a week, a few stacks a month, or even less. It varies a lot. And if you're only earning $1/month, it'll take 25 months to hit the payout minimum!
On top of that, imagine spending months getting close to the payout limit only to stop receiving stacks before you make it there. That's a lot of wasted time.
Perksy Review and Rating Breakdown
- Earning Potential
- Work Volume
- Payout Options
- Payout Minimum
- Payout Speed
Perksy is a well-designed survey app with a great concept, but the execution falls short. The lack of paid surveys and human support on the app make it a frustrating one to use.
Ways to Earn on Perksy
There are two main ways to earn money on Perksy:
1. Surveys (aka Stacks)
Perksy Stacks typically take 1-5 minutes to complete and they consist of multiple-choice questions and short answers.
Most of the Stacks I've filled have had to do with random lifestyle questions, questions about products, stuff like that.
Tip: Enable notifications for Perksy. Stacks expire, so if you don't take them in time, you'll miss out.
When you open up the Persky app and a Stack is available, it will look something like this:
Here's an example of some questions I had in a Stack recently:
As you can see, the questions are really easy to answer (and fun too).
Perksy usually puts some pretty awesome visuals behind each question as well, which makes the experience even more enjoyable.
The Perksy referral program offers an easy way to earn some extra points. You can earn 100 points for each friend you refer to the app.
I think it would be cool if both the referer AND the referred each got bonus points but unfortunately, that isn't the case.
Also, if you're like me, eventually your referrals will just stop crediting. I don't know if my account is blacklisting or something, support won't respond.
Perksy Point Conversion
Completed Stacks reward you with points. 100 Perksy points = $1.
How to Cash Out Your Earnings
The points you earn from Stacks can be redeemed for gift cards in the Perk Store. Gift card redemption starts at $25.
I was honestly surprised at the amount of options Perksy has available. I expected maybe 10-15 gift card choices but it's closer to 100 on the US perkstore and 20 on the Candian store.
All of the gift cards are for popular stores as well so you can be sure there is something on there that you'll like.
Here is just a sneak peek at some of the gift cards they offer:
How to Use a Perksy Gift Card
After you redeem a Perk you can find it in the “My Perks” section of the app.
When you want to use one of your cards, just tap on it and you'll be brought to a page like this with the barcode and pin:
Perksy Pros and Cons
- There are a lot of gift card options – Canada has about 20 gift card options while the US has close to 100.
Good support – I've had a couple of problems with my account linking to the wrong perkstore and the support has helped me fix it with no problems.Read cons.
- Fun user experience – With the visuals and interactive questions, Perksy isn't boring and it definitely doesn't feel like “work”.
- Refer a friend program – Referrals are an awesome way to boost your balance. Start telling your friends about the app!
- Accurate info for Stacks – Before you start a Stack you can see an estimate for how long it will take, and the estimate is actually accurate (unlike some surveys). You can also see when the Stack will expire.
- Stacks are rare – The number of surveys you receive from Perksy will slowly decline until you receive nothing at all.
- Support doesn't respond – They used to, but in the past year or two I haven't been able to get a single response from their in-app chat or support email.
- Referral earnings stop crediting – I don't know if this is intentional or not, but my referrals don't reward points anymore.
- iOS only – Hopefully as Perksy grows they'll expand to Android devices.
Perksy Reviews from Real Users
Dylan Houlihan (1.5/5)
- From: Canada
- User for: 42 months
- Total earned: $75
- Avg. $/hour: $2
- Avg. $/month: $1.80
- Receives work: Haven't received a stack in over 2 years
- Time to first withdrawal: 12 months
Overall thoughts? Perksy started out nicely. It had entertaining and quick surveys, decent pay, and a good referral program. Nowadays though, I haven't received a single stack in over two years, the support team never responds to me (after several messages spanning many months) and my referral earnings don't credit.
Would you recommend it to others? No. It's too inconsistent and there are no answers from support.
How's the user experience? Filling out surveys when you get them is a great experience. Not receiving surveys, support, or credit for referrals is an awful experience.
Any safety concerns? No, Perksy is just as safe as any other survey site. Some personal info is asked for, but nothing crazy.
Is Perksy Worth It?
Perksy is really a strange one because the user experience always seems to start out well for users, and then it declines over time.
With the current state of the Perksy app in 2021, I wouldn't recommend it. I think there are better survey sites and GPT sites out there if you're looking to make some extra money in your spare time without much effort.
This is too bad because the concept of Perksy was great. The fun and well-designed experience made it stand out from other survey apps — it just didn't last.
If someone from the company would actually respond to me and let me know what's going on, I'd be willing to update this verdict, but as of now, I wouldn't waste your time with this app with the risk of ending up disappointed.
The weirdest part is, Perksy employees are still active on LinkedIn, and the app is still being updated semi-regularly, so hopefully things will improve in the future.
How to Get Started on Perksy
If you still want to give Perksy a try, the sign-up process is pretty straightforward:
- Download the app.
- Create an account
- Fill out some info about yourself (e.g. education level, cultural background, living situation, etc. — these questions help Perksy match you to appropriate surveys)
- Enable notifications so you don't miss any stacks
- (Hopefully) receive a stack and make some money
If you do receive a stack, be sure to complete it as soon as possible as they can fill up and/or expire.
Perksy Alternatives and Similar Opportunities
Here are some apps like Perksy:
Check out these articles for similar opportunities:
- Best Survey Sites & Apps
- Best GPT Sites (Get Paid To Sites)
- Top Micro Job Sites for Finding Simple Paid Tasks
- Sites That Will Pay You to Test Websites and Apps
Hope you found this Perksy review helpful! If you did, consider sharing it to help spread the word — thanks!
- Are you a Perksy user? Click here to leave your own short Perksy review below.
- Have questions or feedback? Leave a comment or contact us.