One of the best and most effortless ways to save money on groceries is by using a cash back app. There are a ton of different ones, but today we're talking about Checkout 51.
In this complete Checkout 51 review, I'll go over everything you need to know about how it works, how to use it, and more. By the end of it all, you'll actually be excited for your next grocery shopping trip (maybe?).
Checkout 51 Review
- Ease of use
- Offer quantity
- Offer selection
If you're looking for an easy way to save money on groceries, Checkout 51 is awesome. It's simple to use and navigate, the cashback offers update weekly, and there's a good selection of offers to choose from. You won't find deals on every grocery product under the sun, but if you plan your meals around particular offers, you'll end up saving quite a bit over time.
- Easy to use & available on all devices (no smartphone required)
- Redeem offers at any store
- Large variety of offers
- Easy payout
- Nice referral program
- Good amount of offers every week
- Earn cashback on gas
- Only available in the US & Canada
- E-receipts (e.g. Instacart) aren't supported
- Only payout options are Check and PayPal
For more information, keep on reading!
What is Checkout 51?
Checkout 51 is a free cash back app that was created to help you save money on groceries.
By partnering with hundreds of different brands, Checkout 51 is constantly adding new offers to help you save on things like snacks, personal care products, pet products, household products and much more.
How Does Checkout 51 Work?
The way Checkout 51 works is really simple. If you’ve used any receipt cash back apps before you’re probably already familiar with the process.
Here’s a quick rundown of how Checkout 51 works:
- Sign up ($5 Bonus)
- Browse the Checkout 51 offers and add the ones you like to your account
- Shop and purchase your products like usual
- Upload your receipt to Checkout 51
- Receive cash back on eligible purchases!
That’s the quick and dirty version, but don’t worry, I’ll be explaining exactly how to use Checkout 51 further down in this post.
For now, let's go over some important information and common questions asked about Checkout 51…
Where is Checkout 51 Available?
Checkout 51 is currently available in the United States, overseas US military bases, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Canada.
What Devices Can I Use Checkout 51 On?
Unlike iBotta and many other cash back apps, you don't need a smartphone to use Checkout 51! It's one of the main reasons why I love this app so much.
You can use Checkout 51 on your mobile phone (iOS or Android) and on the Checkout 51 website using any computer with internet.
Note: If you're using the Checkout 51 website, you just need a camera to take pictures of your receipts.
Can You Use Checkout 51 at Any Store?
Yes, however, there are some offers that are store-specific. If an offer is store-specific, it will say so in the details of the offer.
Here's an example of an offer that must be redeemed at a certain store (more details on Checkout 51 offers below):
Can You Earn Cash Back for Online Purchases?
Yes, but only if you receive an itemized packing slip with your purchase. An itemized packing slip confirms that you've received your order and it contains the date, store name/logo, and a list of items purchased along with prices.
If your online purchase doesn't come with an itemized packing slip, no cash back for you. In order to find out which retailers provide itemized packing slips, use these guides from Checkout 51:
Can You Use Checkout 51 with Coupons?
Yes, most offers can be stacked with coupons. If an offer is not eligible for coupon stacking, it will say so in the offer details.
Can You Use Checkout 51 with Food Stamps?
Yup, you can still earn cash back even if you paid for your purchase with food stamps. Just upload your receipt as usual.
Can You Stack iBotta and Checkout 51?
How Does Checkout 51 Make Money?
Checkout 51 makes money by partnering with brands who pay them to get their offers in front of your eyes. It's basically a form of advertising.
How Checkout 51 Offers Work
Checkout 51 adds new offers every Thursday at 12 AM your time zone.
Here are some important things to know about these offers:
- They have limited quantities – Once an offer has been redeemed enough times, it will be removed from the app and you won't be able to redeem it anymore.
- Some offers are only available to certain users – For this reason, your offer list may look different than your friends.
- You can filter them – Filter your offers by category (snacks, pantry, bakery, dairy etc.) or by store (Safeway, Walmart, IGA, etc.)
- Every offer has its own terms – Tap or click on an offer to see more in-depth details about it.
Tip: Make sure to read the details of each offer carefully so that you don't accidentally buy the wrong product. You must buy the exact product listed on the offer to be eligible for cash back.
Along with regular offers, there are some special Checkout 51 offers as well…
Barcode offers are special Checkout 51 offers that are only available within the mobile app.
When you redeem a barcode offer, along with having to upload your receipt you'll also have to scan the barcode of the product with your mobile phone. This helps Checkout51 verify that you purchased the right product.
Bonus offers allow you to earn a bit of extra cash back if you redeem a certain number of specific offers. You can find bonus offers around the top of the offers page of the Checkout 51 app or website.
Brand programs occasionally show up on Checkout 51. If you join one, you'll get access to special, brand-specific offers.
Quick tip: To join a brand program, look out for a “Join” button inside of an offer.
Checkout 51 Sweepstakes
If you head over to the “More Ways to Save” category on Checkout 51, you'll occasionally find a sweepstake offer that gives you the chance to win $500.
To enter the contest all you have to do is submit a grocery receipt that totals over $60. You can only enter once per week.
Checkout 51 Cash out Options
In order to withdraw your cashback from Checkout 51, you need to have at least $20 in your account balance. To check your balance, just head over to your account page.
Once you have $20, you can cash out by:
- Receiving a check; or
- Cashing out to your PayPal account.
Checkout 51 Sign Up Bonus
Now that you know how to use Checkout 51, you're ready to create an account. The best way to sign up for Checkout 51 is by using a referral link.
Because, by signing up with a referral link, you can earn $5 for free in your Checkout 51 account. Here's how:
- Sign up with this referral link
- Upload your first receipt redeeming a Checkout 51 offer and you'll receive a $2 bonus
- Upload up to 3 more receipts redeeming at least one offer to receive a bonus $1 per receipt, for a total of $5
And that's it! No specific Checkout 51 referral code needed.
Here's the important detail though:
To receive your $5 sign up bonus, you must redeem your receipts within 30 days of signing up for Checkout 51.
If you don't redeem an offer within 30 days, you'll lose the chance at getting a free $5, and who doesn't like free money?
How to Use Checkout 51
Now that you understand the ins and outs of Checkout 51, let's quickly go over how to use it. Here's how to go from signing up, to earning cash back:
Step 1. Sign Up
Sign up by clicking here to make sure that you qualify for the free $5 bonus.
Step 2. Browse the Checkout 51 Offers
Before you even create a grocery list, you should browse the Checkout 51 offers.
By building your grocery list around available cashback offers, you'll spend less on groceries but get just as much (or more) product. Genius right?
Tip: Remember that the Checkout 51 offers change every Thursday.
Step 3. Go Shopping!
Once you have your list ready, head out to the store and buy the items on it. Purchase as you normally would and don't forget your receipt!
Step 4. Upload Your Receipt
As soon as you get back home you should upload your receipt to Checkout 51. This way you won't forget and you won't risk losing your receipt.
If you're using other cashback apps in conjunction with Checkout 51, upload your receipt to those as well.
What I Like About Checkout 51
This Checkout 51 review wouldn't be complete without a list of pros and cons, so let's start with the pros…
- It's easy to use – Checkout 51 might be a bit confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's simple to understand and the app and website are easy to navigate.
- Earn extra cash – Checkout 51 makes earning cash back easy. No coupons or clutter, just select your offers and scan your receipt. Plus, you're earning money back on things you'd already be buying.
- Available on all devices – You don't even need a smartphone to use Checkout 51! Just use the web version. So awesome.
- Large variety of offers – There are savings for everyone on Checkout 51 and they add new offers every week.
- Sweepstakes – The Checkout 51 sweepstakes are nice because you don't even need to redeem an offer to enter, you just need any receipt totaling over $60.
- Good referral program – For each friend you refer to Checkout 51, you'll each get $5. Pretty sweet! Sign up here for your $5 bonus.
- Gas cashback – Self-explanatory!
What I Don't Like About Checkout 51
There isn't much to not like about Checkout 51, to be honest. Here's my short list of cons:
- Limited usage – It would be great if they could expand outside the US & Canada but I don't know if they plan to anytime soon.
- Few payout options – They used to only offer checks but now they're offering PayPal, so they're on the right track.
- No e-receipts – I ordered from Instacart recently and realized you don't get receipts from them, and Checkout 51 doesn't accept any e-receipts. This is my biggest con.
Is Checkout 51 Legit? Is it Worth Using?
Seeing as they’ve been around since 2012 and have over one million happy users (me being one of them), I’m confident in saying that Checkout 51 is legit.
If you’re wondering if Checkout 51 is worth it to use, well, that’s up to you. In my opinion, it’s completely worth it as it not only helps you save money on groceries, but it also helps you plan your shopping trip more efficiently.
I hope you enjoyed this Checkout 51 review and found it helpful! If you haven't tried Checkout 51 out yet you can sign up using the button below!
If you HAVE used Checkout 51 before, how have you been liking it? Feel free to leave your own mini-review below!
If you found this post helpful, I'd be super happy if you shared it!
I'm trying to help as many people as possible with this blog but I need your help to help more people (lots of helping). Thank you!